Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cooking for newbies

I thought about titling this post "Cooking for Dummies" but that seemed a bit offensive. Plus most people I know who don't cook aren't intimidated by it, they're just too busy. I promise these are both quick AND easy!

I don't cook as often as I'd like, but I do have some parameters under which most of my meals fall.

1. I prefer to cook in one set afternoon and freeze the meals, thawing weekly as needed. My favorite resource for freezer meals is http://onceamonthmom.com/. Definitely go check it out! (They even have gluten free, vegetarian, and kid-friendly menus!)

2. I try to make healthy, nutritious meals, not just processed stuff. I could make boxed mac & cheese or Hamburger Helper every night, but if you're going to do that, you might as well go through the drive thru!

3. If I'm not thawing a freezer meal, I usually have an hour or less from figuring out what we're going to eat until dinnertime. Fast is a must!

4. Spend some time at the beginning of the week making a meal plan. You will be less likely to eat out or eat junk food! I found this great project on Pinterest to help me do that more often.


5. I stockpile groceries based on sales so that I have staples on hand when I need to come up with something to eat. There are plenty of websites out there that will let you insert the ingredients that you have and spit out a recipe. I like the Kraft website for this reason. Plus most of their recipes are inexpensive, have few ingredients, and quick to prepare! Obviously they're promoting their products above others, but I trust you're intelligent enough to work around that. :)

Here's what I stockpile at my house for meal planning purposes:

  • Proteins
    • chicken breast
    • ground turkey
    • deli meat (go for the low fat, low sodium options)
    • Boca meatless crumbles
    • We don't eat much red meat (my choice) or fish (hubby's choice) in our house, but if you do, go for the lean versions!
  • Carbs
    • Pasta, particularly spaghetti (I do equal portions regular and whole grain as a compromise for my picky eater)
    • Brown rice, not the instant kind
    • Thomas' Light English muffins
    • Sara Lee Whole Grain White bread (again, best compromise I have found)
    • La Tortilla Factory high fiber tortillas
  • Produce
    • Fresh onion, potatoes, tomatoes, lettuce, baby carrots, and fruits (Should I buy organic or conventional? Check out this list of the worst offenders!)
    • Frozen mixed veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, Ore Ida Steam and Mash potatoes, green beans, corn
  • Dairy
    • Skim milk
    • sour cream
    • plain yogurt
    • vanilla yogurt
    • cream cheese
    • shredded cheese
    • sliced cheese
    • Laughing Cow cheese wedges (Not technically dairy, but that's where you'll find it at the grocery store. Did you know it doesn't have to be refrigerated? Scary!)
  • Canned items
    • Progresso soups (look for "low point" options)
    • marinara sauce
    • "Cream of" soups (look for low fat, low sodium options)
    • Broth

I have a few favorite entrees I always fall back on, served with steamed veggies or a salad and fresh fruit. Keep in mind we're very chicken-happy in my house because it's one of the few proteins that we can agree on. Here they are!

If I don't have time to cook and I'm starving, I try to avoid snacking. Instead, make:
  • La Tortilla Factory tortilla (2 points) + Laughing Cow cheese (1 point) + deli turkey (1-2 points depending on serving size) + 0 points options (lettuce, tomato, mustard) = 5 points!
  • La Tortilla Factory tortilla (2 points) + 1/4 cup low-fat shredded cheese (4 points) + salsa = 6 points
  • Thomas' Light English muffin (3 points) + Laughing Cow cheese (1 point) + 1/4 Cup Egg Beaters (2 points) = 6 points
Coming soon, SNACKING!

No comments:

Post a Comment